Driver fatigue is commonly thought of as falling asleep at the wheel.
However, fatigue can seriously impair your driving well before you "nod
off' as the wheel.
The problem with fatigue is that drivers do not realise they are too tired to
Avoid driver fatigue on long journeys -
- Make sure you have plenty of sleep before a long drive;
- Take regular breaks - get out of the car and take a short walk, or stop
- Plan to stay overnight somewhere on long drives;
- Share the driving with a travelling companion;
- Take extra care driving between midnight and 6am since your body is most
at risk from fatigue during these hours;